11 Jun New CRA Digital Services for Charities
As of June 1, 2019, charities will be able to electronically file their T3010 Registered Charity Returns with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). New digital services include online application for registrations, filing of T3010 Registered Charity Information Return, as well as the ability to update your organizations information online.
Charities will continue to receive form TF725, Registered Charity Basic Information, which will allow you to make changes to your contact information (ex. address, phone number, contact person, etc.). This annual package, however, will no longer include the peel and stick bar code labels for paper filing. It is recommended that charities still verify their basic information on an annual basis, and retain the TF725 form in their files.
What do charities need to do to prepare for this change?
Charities will need to ensure they have a My Business Account with the CRA in order for them to take advantage of these new digital services.
How can charities sign up for a My Business Account with the CRA?
Click here to download our step-by-step guide: How to Sign up for a My Business Account with the CRA – Clearline CPA.
- Identify the appropriate individual to be connected to the My Business Account. Although not required, it is recommended that this individual have a strong understanding of the financials and intend to have some longevity with the organization. It will be possible however to transition an individual’s authorization if required.
- Gather the following information to register for a My Business Account: SIN, DOB, personal address, 2018 personal tax notice of assessment, and the charities’ business number (9 digits).
- Go to CRA E-Services: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services.html
- Follow the steps outlined in our guide to setting up a My Business Account.
- Once you have created an account, let our team at Clearline know so we can send you the information necessary to authorize Clearline CPA for CRA access. Once this authorization is in place, we can file the organizations T3010 electronically and assist more efficiently with any CRA matters.
Over the next few weeks, we will be sending clients an information package to assist with this registration. If you have any questions reach out to Clearline’s Not-For-Profit tax team, Bridget Noonan, Andrew Ross or Rebecca Davidson at 604-639-0909.