15 Feb How to Set Up a CRA My Business Account
We at Clearline strongly suggest that all of our corporate clients obtain access to their company’s My Business Account. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is using this online platform much more often and it’s much easier to pay balances or file returns when you use My Business Account. You can also easily check up on past returns, see why you’re being charged interest, and add information to the file. Most importantly, you can set up direct deposit so the CRA no longer has to send you cheques, which take time to deliver and seem to go missing fairly often these days.
It’s important to note that you will need your CRA business number and your program accounts (GST/HST, payroll, corporation Income tax, excise tax and others) to complete the registration process.
To set up a My Business Account with the CRA, you will need to follow these steps:
- Go to the CRA’s website and select “My Business Account” from the list of services or simply follow this link.
- Scroll down the page and select “CRA register.”
- To validate your identity, enter your social insurance number (SIN).
- Next, enter your postal code or zip code, date of birth, and an amount you entered on one of your income tax and benefit returns from the current tax year, or the previous one.
- Then, select a delivery method for a CRA security code, which is required to gain full access to My Business Account.
- Depending on the delivery method you have chosen, you will be asked to confirm your current postal or zip code, or enter your email address.
- The next step will be to create a CRA user ID and password.
- Then, select and answer five security questions.
- Review and agree to the terms and conditions of use by entering your password and selecting “I agree.”
- If you have chosen to have a CRA security code issued via email, you will now be asked to contact the CRA.
- Registration is now complete until you receive your code. Once you do, log in and enter it.
- Review and agree to the My Business Account terms and conditions of use.
- Then, provide your Business Number.
- You will now have full access to My Business Account.
The CRA also has a video posted on their website that walks through the process. You can access that video here.